Episode 26: Self-Sacrifice is Not the Future of Business or Medicine with Shavawn Boyer, RNMay 04, 2020
How are you supposed to take care of others when you are so depleted? And what if you don't have the time or means to take a spa weekend or travel the globe (none of us have that right now anyway)?
In this episode, Karlee chats with Shavawn Boyer, a nurse currently helping in the fight against COVID-19. She’s dedicated her life to helping heal others – but a few years ago she decided she would no longer do that at the expense of her own mental and physical health. And now she's more clear than ever about what she is going to do in order to stay on the front-lines to help others for the long-haul - spoiler: it's not about sacrifice..
It’s time to break free from the "I'll get to myself later" mindset. Permission granted to put your mask on first, and here is exactly how one woman did just that when simple things like just drinking a cup of water or going to the bathroom felt like too much of a burden when she worked - like it might distract from the mission at hand: being of service to others.
Some Questions Karlee Asks Shavawn:
● How was it that Lil Wayne introduced us to each other? (11:47)
● How was being a nurse making it even easier to have an eating disorder? (12:49)
● What was the first small step you took to reclaim time for your own nourishment? (18:19)
● What does the care for medical staff look like right now in your hospital, during this pandemic? (26:17)
● What is one thing that you know makes sense for you moving forward even if others disagree? (35:31)
● Where do you go for inspiration or a dose of courage? (41:53)
In This Episode You Will Learn:
● How Shavawn absorbed the message that everyone else goes first, and herself last. (14:14)
● How a 20 second practice in drinking water transformed Shavawn’s life. (18:29)
● Why regular self-care makes Shavawn stand out in a crowd. (24:27)
● What it’s like to be a nurse during the COVID-19 pandemic. (29:01)
● About Shavawn’s secret talent: interpreting guidance from the universe. (38:45)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
Ready to have more time and energy? Start here
Found this episode helpful? Leave a review on your podcast app and share a screen shot of this episode on social media so other women can see it. Tag Karlee so she can give you a shout out on: Instagram or Facebook
Or drop Karlee a line here.