Episode 35: Trust Your Knowing: How Women Rise From Doubt to Leading Themselves Forward with Suzi Banks BaumJul 06, 2020
Someone just asked you to do something for them, and before you’ve even had the chance to think it through, you find yourself saying, “Sure! I’d love to!” . Then, when the time comes to actually do it, you feel resentment rising within yourself. Familiar?
Saying “yes” is a knee-jerk reaction for many of us. Whether you say “yes” out of obligation, genuine excitement, or just muscle memory, that feeling of resentment or exhaustion that follows is a key indicator that it’s time to up your boundary game.
But what do you do when someone pushes back on your boundary?
Or they call you a b*tch for speaking your mind?
In this episode, Karlee interviews Nancy Levin, a boundary-setting master, and author of Setting Boundaries Will Set You Free, on how to know what to say on the spot when someone crosses your boundaries and how to respond to pushback.
Nancy sheds light on the idea of what a boundary truly is, and why a boundary – by her definition – cannot be crossed by someone else. Instead, you are the only one who can cross your boundary, and you are the only one who can uphold them, too.
Tune in to learn to remedy the rising resentment within and reclaim your time and energy through setting and honoring your own boundaries.
Some Questions Karlee Asks Suzi:
● How do you go about making mindful pivots in business? (14:08)
● What do you feel in your body when something’s not quite right? (18:12)
● What thoughts bubbled up for you when you're tempted to ignore what you know to be true? (23:46)
● What’s the connection between creative practice and tapping into your Knowing? (30:18)
● How can someone start cultivating a simple creative practice? (37:43)
● How did you know when it was time to make a big change for your signature program - Backyard Art Camp? (49:02)
In This Episode You Will Learn:
● How Suzi stays solid amidst the chaos of life’s changes. (8:32)
● How you know when it’s time to modify the way you do business. (14:46)
● What is body-knowing? (18:55)
● How creative practices help you gain a greater understanding of your interior orientation. (30:32)
● How ritual can help you begin cultivating a creative practice. (38:21)
● How making time for herself helped Suzi take back her freedom and agency. (57:33)
People We Mention:
Connect with Suzi Banks Baum:
Found this episode helpful? Leave a review on your podcast app and share a screen shot of this episode on social media so other women can see it. Tag Karlee so she can give you a shout out on: Instagram or Facebook
Or drop Karlee a line here.